See ESSA Updates below:
5 of the week’s top developments for how states and policymakers are implementing (and innovating under) the Every Student Succeeds Act amid the ongoing pandemic:
- Colorado’s Accountability Pause Gets Go-Ahead from Biden Administration
- will not have to identify low-performing schools this school year to intervene
- won’t be held to the expectation that 95% of students take a statewide summative test.
- state will still be required to report out information related to student absenteeism and internet and technology access.
- Virginia Superintendent Says 2021 Tests Are Focused on Student Recovery — Not Accountability
- state’s focus for spring testing this school year is to collect data on students’ academic needs in order to address pandemic disruption as schools reopen.
- test scores this year would not be used for typical accountability measures like school and teacher evaluations.
- Federal Government Drawing a Fine Line on Testing This Spring
- a disconnect has emerged between the federal government requiring states to offer their tests, and districts’ power to exempt students from taking them
- California districts are poised to use local testing data in place of data from statewide, summative tests.
- Oregon and Washington districts continue to push back on the expectation to administer tests, allowing opt-outs from spring exams.
- Dallas Schools’ New Discipline Policy Would Eliminate Many Student Suspension to Address Racial Disparities
- could be among the most progressive pushes for addressing racial disparities in schools.
- plan would eliminate suspensions for “low-level infractions” and would connect students with in-person and virtual resources aimed at supporting behavioral and mental health needs.
- New Bill Would Grant Civics Day to Delaware Students, Encourage Community Engagement
- would give students one day a year to engage in civic activities, ranging from protests, to legislative sessions, to speaking on behalf of causes they support.
- if passed, bill would represent a first of its kind in the nation.
Read complete update here: https://buff.ly/3b2tZ5M